How to Get a Child Passport with One Parent Absent in USA?

To get a child passport with one parent absent in the USA, the absent parent must complete and notarize Form DS-3053. If the applying parent has sole custody, provide documentation such as a court order.

Submit the child’s birth certificate or adoption decree, and complete Form DS-11. Bring the child’s birth certificate, the applying parent’s ID, a photocopy of the ID, and passport photos of the child.

Steps to get a Child Passport with One Parent Absent in USA

If you’re trying to obtain a passport for a child in the United States when one parent is absent, here are the steps you’ll need to follow:

  1. Fill Out Form DS-11: Start by completing Form DS-11, which is the application for a U.S. passport for a child. You can find this form on the U.S. Department of State’s website.
  2. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship: Gather evidence of your child’s U.S. citizenship. This could be their birth certificate. Make sure to have a photocopy of this document as well.
  3. Show Your Relationship: You’ll need to demonstrate your relationship to the child. If one parent cannot apply in person, additional documents are required. For example, if the non-appearing parent is cooperative, you can submit a DS-3053 “Statement of Consent”. This form allows the absent parent to provide written consent for the child’s passport issuance.
  4. Photo ID: Obtain a photo ID for yourself (the applying parent or guardian) and make a photocopy of it.
  5. Additional Documents (if both parents or guardians cannot apply): If both parents or guardians cannot apply with the child, you’ll need to provide more documents. The DS-3053 form mentioned earlier is one option. Be sure to check the specific requirements based on your situation.
  6. Provide a Photo: Get a passport-sized photo of your child.
  7. Calculate Fees: There is a passport book fee of $80 for children under 16, plus a $25 execution fee.
  8. Find a Location to Apply: Locate a passport acceptance facility near you where you can submit the application in person.
  9. Track Your Application Status: After submitting the application, you can track its status online.

Remember that passports for children under 16 are valid for 5 years. Make sure to follow the guidelines and provide all necessary documents to ensure a smooth process. Good luck with obtaining the passport!

What if the absent parent refuses to provide consent?

If the absent parent refuses to provide consent for the child’s passport, the situation becomes more complex. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. Court Order: If you have legal custody of the child, you can obtain a court order granting permission for the passport. You’ll need to provide the court order along with your application.
  2. Form DS-5525: Complete Form DS-5525, which is a “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.” This form is used when one parent cannot provide consent due to specific reasons (such as being uninvolved or uncooperative). You’ll need to explain the circumstances in detail and provide evidence (such as court documents) supporting your claim.
  3. Documentation: Gather any relevant documentation that demonstrates your sole custody or legal authority to apply for the child’s passport without the other parent’s consent.
  4. Consult an Attorney: Consider seeking legal advice from an attorney who specializes in family law. They can guide you through the process and help you understand your options.

Remember that the U.S. Department of State takes child safety seriously, so they require additional steps when one parent is absent. Be prepared to provide as much information as possible to support your case. Good luck, and I hope you’re able to resolve this situation successfully!

Can I apply for a passport if the absent parent is deceased?

Yes, you can still apply for a passport for your child if the absent parent is deceased. Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Surviving Parent’s Consent: The surviving parent is the only one who needs to show parental consent. You’ll need to take the child to the Passport Acceptance Facility in person and bring an original or certified copy of the deceased parent’s death certificate to demonstrate why the child has only one parent.
  2. Required Documents:
    o Death Certificate: Obtain an official death certificate for the absent parent.
    o Proof of Relationship: Provide evidence of your relationship to the child (e.g., birth certificate).
    o Application Form DS-11: Complete Form DS-11, which is the application for a U.S. passport for a child.
    o Statement of Consent (if applicable): If the surviving parent cannot apply with the child, they may need to complete and notarize Form DS-3053, which serves as a statement of consent.
  3. Visit a Passport Acceptance Facility: Go to a Passport Acceptance Facility with all the necessary documents. The surviving parent should be present to sign the application.

Remember that the surviving parent’s consent is crucial in this situation. Gather the required documents, and the process should proceed smoothly. Good luck!


Navigating the process of get a child passport with one parent absent in the USA can seem daunting, but by carefully following the required steps and providing the necessary documentation, it can be managed efficiently.

Ensuring all forms are properly completed and notarized, and presenting the appropriate evidence of custody and identity, will help streamline the application process. By adhering to these guidelines, you can successfully secure a passport for your child even when one parent is unable to be present.